Sightseeing

You are here

Visit the Lighthouse Melagavi, 1,5 km from Villa Armonia
Made of stone, it stands above the ruins of the ancient settlement and the Hera temple. Originally it was running on petroleum (from 1897 until 1947). Since 1982 it’s running on electricity. A spot to enjoy spectacular views and take lovely pictures.

The building features architecture from before the industrial revolution, shaped in a letter T, with the lighting equipment at the western part. It is a significant sample of lighthouse architecture, made of stone with quoins.

 

Visit the canal that joins the salt-water lake with the Corinthian Gulf, 1,5 km from Villa Armonia
The Heraion Lake has sea water, more salty than that of the open sea, refreshed through ebb and flow every 6 hours, through a narrow channel to the Corinthian Gulf. This keeps its waters very clear and because of this natural phenomenon during summer one side of the Lake can be very calm and the other side very wavy!

 

Stroll through the archaeological site of Heraion, the temple of Hera, 1,5 km from Villa Armonia
The Heraion consists of two sections, and until recently it was believed to be two separate sanctuaries: those of Hera Acraea (of the cape) and Hera Limenia (of the harbour).

At the southern part of the temple worship began during the geometrical period. Around 800 BC, the first apsidal temple of Hera was built, but it hasn’t survived. In the sixth century BC, a new temple of Hera was constructed, further west. This was of a Doric order with a rectangular layout measuring 10,30 × 31 meters. To the east was an altar, also oblong and ornamented with triglyphs. In the fourth century BC, 8 Ionic columns were constructed around the altar; these supported a shelter, which protected the priests and the sacred flame from the strong winds that often blow in the area. During the 4th century BC a two-floor arcade with Doric columns at the ground floor and Ionic columns at the first floor was built at the east side. A building which has come to light to the west of the Doric temple has been interpreted as an agora, serving both religious and commercial purposes.